I encountered a tiny problem using Gmail Offline with Google Apps Premier, that might apply only to some non-US countries.
The Create Desktop Shortcuts action does not create any shortcut at all (at the time of this writing and using Google Chrome). So how do I access my mails when offline?
The URL to be used for accessing Google Mail (gmail.com) as given in the help pages does not apply to Google Apps accounts. Normally I just access my Gmail by browsing to http://mail.saddey.net, eventually being redirected to https://mail.google.com/a/saddey.net/. When offline, mail.saddey.net cannot be accessed.
The work-around is both trivial and effective: Just navigate directly to the very same URL that shows up in your browser after invoking Gmail while being online. For convenience, you can create a shortcut of your own just as easily by right-clicking your desktop and selecting New, Shortcut and entering the full URL (from Google’s domain).
Notes: As of now (31-jan-09), using Gmail Offline with Google Apps Premier requires:
- A browser that is supported by the Google Labs feature (common but up-to-date ones will do)
- The Google Labs feature (“new features”) to be enabled in your Google Apps domain settings (if you don’t know what this is, please call your admins).
- The display language no longer
needs to be set to English (US), your language might already be supported now.
- The Google Labs feature to be enabled in your personal Gmail settings
- Offline to be enabled in your personal Gmail Labs settings